Eating fresh produce is the best way to obtain the nutrients that support optimum health.
But when more than 1 billion pounds of pesticides are used in the US each year, how does this affect our food buying choices? Since pesticides can damage our health it’s important to buy Organic when possible. Organic produce offers natural pesticides that come from plant sources. When a product is stamped with Certified Organic it has to follow national standard guidelines
Organic vs. Non-organic, that is the question — but where does our budget come in?
When it comes to buying organic, smart strategies, such as shopping locally, make organic produce more affordable than you might think.
More important than the momentary question of whether to splurge on the organic Fuji apples is the question: pay now, or pay later?
What are the health risks of shopping non-organic?
- Pesticide residue that are said to lead to birth defects, neurological conditions such as ADHD, cancer, asthma, and the list goes on and on
- Higher traces of heavy metals, which are linked to neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s Disease
- Some non-organic produce is traced to GMO’s, which are tied to hormonal imbalances such as hypo thyroid syndrome or estrogen dominance.
- The Environmental Protection Agency reports that the majority of pesticides are a probable cause for cancer.
- Fruits & vegetables highest in pesticides tend to have the thinnest outer skins — in these cases, don’t scale back; make every effort buy organic.
When it comes to shopping organic, which produce is a must?
- Sweet bell peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
Shopping organic doesn’t have to be as pricey as it seems though — you can make it work on almost any budget. It all comes down to smart strategies for sourcing produce from the right places, that sell organic fruits and vegetables at affordable prices.
So where can you get the best bang for you buck and still achieve ultimate wellness?
Make a trip to the local…
- Farmer’s Markets
- Certified Organic Grocery Stores
- Food Co-Ops
- Consider using Organic.org they make where to shop location choices easy.
- Freeze fresh produce when it’s at the peak of its season — blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries make great snacks or ingredients in smoothies any time of year, but they’re only in season — and therefore, most affordable — at certain times. Buy them while they’re seasonal and most flavorful, and store them for the rest of the year in the freezer, ready for when you need them.
- Making the mind shift and starting can be the most challenging so make your list before you head out the door and shop around to ensure that you don’t pay too much! Once you determine your eating pattern shopping organic will become 2nd nature like walking out the door and getting in your car. Once your taste buds adjust you won’t want to go back and that’s when you realize that quality of food really matters!
Hello Health Seeker!
Sign up for your free 15 minute coaching session & obtain the keys to unlock your fears & self doubt so you can excel in life as you deserve!
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.